Introduction to PatientsMap:
"PatientsMap" is a database which uncovers the number of patients treated by little over 20,000 physicians in 401 disease conditions. This study was conducted via online in collaboration with M3, the largest portal site for healthcare professionals in Japan with approximate 250,000 online physician members.
"PatientsMap" can be used as a tool for estimating patient numbers for various diseases across, not only different specialties, but also by hospital size and regions. It can help you in analyzing the potential of a new drug and also with targeting the appropriate specialties in terms of market research and/or for promotional purposes.
Outline of PatientsMap:
- Project name: PatientsMap2017
- Objective: To understand the treatment condition of various specialties for 401 disease types
- Methodology: Online survey
- Survey region: Nationwide
- Sample size: Total of 20,135 physicians (see breakdown below).
- Fieldwork schedule: 19 April 2017 - 6 August 2017
|Disease area||# of disease||Disease area||# of disease|
|■Gastroenterological diseases||27||■Cancer/ Cancer pain||49|
|■ Cardiovascular diseases||18||■Musculoskeletal diseases||11|
|■Endocrine diseases||18||■Gynecological diseases||5|
|■Hematological diseases||9||■Urological diseases||31|
|■Respiratory diseases/ Infectious diseases||12||■Ophthalmic diseases||12|
|■Cranial nerve diseases||31||■ENT diseases||10|
|■Psychiatric diseases||24||■Dermatological diseases||34|
|Diabetes/Internal secretion department||570||448||122|
|Mammary gland surgery||144||125||19|
|Cranial nerves surgery||663||574||89|
|Obstetrics and gynecology||727||440||287|
|Palliative care department||66||55||11|
*Office = 0-99 beds / Hospital = 100+ beds
Contents of PatientsMap:
- Total number of patients seen in last month
- Disease types that they saw (401 disease types)
- Number of patients they saw per each disease (401 disease types)
- Diseases that they wish for new medicines/non-drug therapy (eg. Operation, equipment, etc) to be developed
- Sales rep visitations in past months (61 manufacturers)
- Reliable pharmaceutical company
- Department in which they practice (primary specialty)
- Area of specialty/sub-specialties
- Region of hospital
- Hospital size (bed size)
Characteristics of PatientsMap Japan 2017 version
Able to understand the e-detailing (provision of information via internet) situationManufacturers' e-detailing data is a new item in the PatientsMap 2017 version. Since PatientsMap is a database with over 20,000 physicians, it allows you to understand which manufacturers have high e-detailing rates from various aspects, such as specialty and regions.
Able to understand the physicians' level of trust (confidence) in various manufacturers
- In the 2016 version, PatientsMap added a question (data) on the "level of trust (confidence) in pharmaceutical manufacturers". This question is also asked in the 2017 version.
Uncovers the number of patients who were prescribed drugs
- In addition to the "number of patients seen", from 2015 version, PatientsMap added a question (data) on the "number of patients who were prescribed drugs". This question is also asked in the 2017 version.